30 May 2010

A solid workout...


Well after all of yesterday’s happenings, I was eager to get my run in this morning. I got up at 5:15ish, and got dressed. I was really pumped for the run, I really like progression runs and with this being a cutback week, I haven’t had any challenges. Well, apparently I was too excited; first I forgot my HRM, then I forgot my water bottle, then I forgot sunglasses, then I realized I didn’t have the right workout programmed in my Garmin (twice). But I eventually got out the door a little before 6:00; ugh!

Run started out really well, slow. I started about 10:00’s and inched down to 9:20’s (my moderate pace) by four miles in. Then I had five, seven minute runs, progressing from 9:20 down to 8:25. The first one was really fast, the second one was spot on, but seems slow, because the first one was so fast; oops!

Tomorrow starts a whole new segment of training. I begin my Speed and Stamina phase. The workouts will get harder and more intense, but the payoff comes quicker as well. As I was looking through my old Garmin files last night, my running was much faster last summer. I think it was because I was running too fast; but the faster paces, did feel easy. I’m sure could run those paces now, but I’d probably be injured before I was able to enjoy the run.


A note about goals: I have not yet decided what goals to shoot for in my Fall Marathon. One of the crappy things about being out here is that I don’t have access to many races and I don’t have training partners. But, what I do have is a great coach and a great training plan. My goals will be redefined (as will my PR’s) over the next couple months as my training progresses.

"It's at the borders of pain and suffering that the men are separated from the boys."
~Emil Zatopek

1 comment:

  1. Hi! Thought I'd swing by and check out your blog. It looks as if we are both doing some fundraising for cause near and dear to our hearts. Good luck!

    Oh, and good luck with the speed work. It is tough, but as you know it does pay off!

    ReplyDelete