29 May 2010

A trip down memory lane...

I felt like crap as I got up to do mi 10 mi Progression run this morning, so I decided to postpone it. I figured I’d put in about 5 easy TM miles later, as the heat wouldn’t allow me to get any good distance running in, while outside.

So instead I spent the morning (and about $15) looking up old articles from my HS days. I was beginning to think that the times I ran were fiction! There was another runner on our team, Nick Setta, who generally out shined everyone else (think Pre). Nick was a very personable guy and actually gave me the nickname I still carry today. But, with him around, the news coverage for us was slim, unless he pointed them our way. Anyway, I was able to dig up some “Top Times” and results. My first outdoor 100m was run in 11.1 FAT, I would never run so slow again until the State Meet. Not bad. I was undefeated in weekly meets, and never finished outside the Top 5 in Invitationals (often Top 3; but never number 1, I don’t think). I had PR of 10.7 for 100m and 22.7 for 200m. I was pretty fast, but I was unfocused and woefully under-trained. I got started late, and had to play catch up to formal sprinting.

So now that I have embarked on this distance running journey, I wonder again what is in store for me. Will I ever be able to accomplish even close to what I accomplished as a sprinter? I don’t expect to finish on the podium in any marathon, but will I run under 3:30? BQ at 3:10? Get to start my Marathon PR with a 2? Or, will I be another Marathon bust? Will I run 4:30, 4:00.01? Yes to me that is a bust. To many people maybe not, but I have higher goals and aspirations…

I guess it all starts with the 5 easy TM miles this afternoon. Good, constant and hard training. Consistency and staying injury-free are the keys to success here…


"The essential thing in life is not so much conquering as fighting well." -Baron De Coubertin

No comments:

Post a Comment